Monday, May 16, 2011

Rider down.

Sorry I've been MIA lately. I broke my fucking leg. Being a badass has it's occupational hazards...

I've been riding since I was a kid. Daily riding. I typically ride 600's and have no problem with keeping on the heels of my buddies that ride R1's, in the twisties. For the past few years, I've been riding a Seca II. It's a ok bike. Super reliable. Good fuel mileage, and fast enough to get myself in trouble.

Last summer I had a terrible separation, and didn't ride much. Didn't like getting on something that made me thing about what I had to deal with. A new position followed later, and I didn't have time to ride. Over the winter, my riding buddies gave me enough hell about not riding with them last year, that I decided to make the steps to buy a bike I always wanted. A Buell Lightning or a Ducati Monster. The Monster was ruled out because of my size. But the Buell fits my like a glove. The ergos are fantastic, and most importantly, no lower back pain from previous car accidents.

As I troll eBay time and time again, I really wanted a yellow XB. But I've never seen a yellow XB. Low and behold, on Craigslist I found one yellow and a black in my price range. The yellow one was a few hours away but the owner sold it before I could go look at it. The black one was 6 hours away, and I don't have time to travel on my only off day. Then I found THE bike on eBay. Yellow, low mileage, new tires, a few mods, and lower than my price range. I made the deal the same day.

I finally was a Buell owner. A reward for the hell I've been through personally, and professionally in the past 3 years since I've been on top. I'm the happiest I've been in years.

The bike gets delivered 6 days later. We agreed on 5 pm, and he called me at 1 saying he's half hour out. I was on a weekend getaway and was still two hours away. I couldn't get home fast enough. I get home at 3, and he's not answering his phone. SEVERAL CALLS and I'm starting to panic. What happened to my new bike? Did I get scammed? Did something happen to the guy? He calls and tell me he stopped at his families near my town (ironic a guy from SC has family 20 mins away from me in OH)

I pull up to my bike getting unloaded. I'm in love. It's exactly as described and pictured. He starts it up. The sound of the V-twin, with a rich bass sound, had my giddy. I can't remember the last time I smiled this much. I was happy again. We unload it, he shows me a few things, and I hand him a check. I said to him "You know I'm in the car business so before I hand you this check I wanna take it around the block to make sure it shifts and rides as good as it sound." He said "I don't blame ya! Go ahead." I take off around his truck, throw the yard, back on the driveway, and to the street. I'm in first gear, slow rolling it to get used to it. I know these are powerful torque monsters. (My first experience on a Buell last year I pulled away from the parking space and promptly popped a wheelie) I pass my neighbors driveway, and go into a slight turn. As I come out of the bend, I just start spinning. Right. Left. Right. Left.

Rider down.

I scream for the seller, and he comes running. I pick myself up and I can't stand. Extreme pain is coming from my lower left leg. I sit Indian-style in the middle of the road, and my leg above the ankle is laying there like a wet noodle. It's limp. It's broke. A neighbor calls 911, and within 2 minutes, police and ambulance are there. I'm rushed to the local hospital where I spent the next 5 days going through surgery and rest.

I never knew realizing your dreams could hurt so God damned much.

No comments:

Post a Comment